Personality Test

Our first assignment of HMP 722 was to take two personality tests, the Big Five and the 16 personalities. Both of them were very straight forward and only took a few minutes to complete. I have taken both tests in the past for other class and for the most part have gotten the same results.

The first personality test I took was the 16 personalities test. As I said before I have taken this test in the past so I knew what I was getting myself into. I tried to go into this test with an open mind because at this point I know the test so well I can get the same personality each time. But, unfortunately no matter how hard I tried I came out with the same result I normally get which is- ESTJ otherwise known as the executive personality. According to 16 personalities website-"Executives are representatives of tradition and order, utilizing their understanding of what is right, wrong and socially acceptable to bring families and communities together." Although I have taken this test in the past I believe this perfectly outlines me! I really enjoy a tradition or routine and getting used to doing something a certain way. I also know from right and wrong in different situations, and try to bring people together as a group by being a leader.

The next test I took was the Big Five test. I have also taken the test before as I said prior so I was familiar with what I was doing. I believe the results of this exam were fairly accurate for the most part. This test based my results on the five major dimensions of human personality- Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism (OCEAN). In the first category I scored fairly low on openness which means I'm down to earth and not very creative. In conscientiousness I scored almost in the middle leaning to the right which means I'm reliable and well-organized. Extraversion I scored in the middle which said I am neither social or reserved. Agreeableness I scored  high which means I tend to consider others feelings and finally, in Neuroticism is scored low which means I'm calm and relaxed. I believe these results are fairly right except for the Extraversion category, I think in most situations I am fairly outgoing and social. 

Both of these test were enjoyable to take. It is interesting to read the results and see how well they match up to a person. In the  future I plan to take these tests again and see if my results change or stay the same!

Comments

  1. As I said in class, I think they word the Big Five results rather negatively, which is unfortunate because I think there is a place and a value in organizations for all types. Scoring low on Openness in this case aligns well with your other test results. A low score on openness agrees with your comfort with tradition and routine. And you know what? Managers need to impose tradition and routine on organizations. It's how organizations don't come flying apart. A good manager makes sure everyone knows how things are supposed to be done. It makes organizations more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part of imposing tradition and routine on an organization is the accountability piece which can be difficult if you're too agreeable.

    I would encourage you to look hard at processes and design the process whenever you're able in such a way that employee's performance objectives or standards are self guiding (I like the book 4 Disciplines of Execution: 4DX).

    I like structure and routine but my problem is that I'm a tinkerer so I'm constantly tweaking the processes to make them better... this tends to be not so agreeable with staff though because most folks don't like change. I routinely get feedback from my subordinates that I'm either moving to fast or changing things right after we just changed them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to succeed? Get more sleep | Arianna Huffington

Understand Your Boss by Astrology Sign

The Fascinating Science Behind ‘Talking’ With Your Hands