How Great Leaders Inspire Action

I recently watched a TED Talk by Simon Sinek called "Start with why: How great leaders inspire action." This Ted Talk was a very inspiring video to watch especially the part where Simon talks about how Apple sells products. Simon explains that the why, how and what tell how some organizations or leader inspire others. Everyone knows what they do, but not many know what their purpose is, the why part. Simon mentions inspired leaders or organizations start with the why and work their way to the what. This is how Apple, a superior organization sells their products and why so many people buy them. Many other organizations start with what their product is and end with why you should buy this product. Simon ends this TED Talk with "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it." This is a very powerful quote because I think that it relates to people that look up to leaders. People look up to someone not for what they do but, why they do it. This was a great TED Talk and I encourage anyone to watch.



              

Comments

  1. He's got a book where he develops this idea further, but I think you get the bulk of the idea from this talk.

    I find this really impactful. In the past I've asked students in various classes to do this exercise for themselves. What is your Why? For me, it's making beautiful things. The how and the what allow you to expand and redefine those words. For example, I've mentioned that I am a semi-pro photographer. I love making beautiful images. That's a pretty straightforward application of my why. But I've also told students that they fit into my definition of "things". I see my role as a teacher as helping people transform themselves into something they want to be. That's beautiful, too. I think finding the coherence around your why is important, and it's important to find a way to shed that which does not allow you to be true to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to succeed? Get more sleep | Arianna Huffington

Understand Your Boss by Astrology Sign

The Fascinating Science Behind ‘Talking’ With Your Hands